Date of Birth
16 November 1958
Place of Birth
Fremont, Nebraska, USA
Mary Marg Helgenberger
5′ 6″ (1,68 m)
Strawberry blonde hair
Born Mary Margaret Helgenberger on November 16, 1958, in Fremont, Nebraska. The daughter of a meat inspector and a nurse, Helgenberger attended Kearney State College in Nebraska before transferring to Northwestern University where she majored in drama.
Shortly after graduation, Helgenberger moved to New York to pursue an acting career. She soon landed a role on the soap opera Ryan’s Hope, where she worked for four years. After moving to Southern California, the actress appeared on such series as Matlock and thirtysomething, but it wasn’t until she was cast as tough-as-nails prostitute K.C. Koloski on ABC’s China Beach that Helgenberger received critical and popular success. She worked on the award-winning dramatic series from 1988 until its demise in 1991, earning an Emmy in 1989 for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
After turning in various television guest performances throughout the 1990s, Helgenberger once again landed a plum primetime role as Catherine Willows on the popular dramatic series Crime Scene Investigation in 2000. That same year, she received an Emmy award nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. Helgenberger was nominated the award again in 2003.
Helgenberger has also branched out to film work, debuting on the big screen in Steven Spielberg’s Always in 1989. In 2000, she gave a memorable supporting performance in Steven Soderbergh’s widely acclaimed Erin Brockovich. More recently, she has played Dennis Quaid??s wife in the comedy In Good Company (2005) and the unsuspecting spouse of a serial killer in Mr. Brooks (2007).
Helgenberger married actor Alan Rosenberg (divorced in 2010), whom she met on the set of Ryan’s Hope, in 1989. The couple has one son, Hugh Howard Rosenberg.
– I doubt it will be any kind of an intimate relationship. We always will have some closeness, but I think we have just a marriage of the minds, the two of us, and he’s great to work with (William Petersen). A bit of yin and yang in that relationship, for sure. [asked if Catherine’s relationship with Gil Grissom might ever turn romantic]
– [on Madonna] Life will always be good as long as Madonna is around. I don’t think of her as a guilty pleasure anymore – she’s an outright pleasure. [In Style magazine, September 2006]
– We had a murder taking place at a foam party… which once again made me feel so old. So often I’m like “What the hell’s that?”.
– Received her Bachelor of Science degree from the School of Speech (now the School of Communications) at Northwestern University (Evanston, Illinois).
– On ER (1994) episode #2.21, ER: Take These Broken Wings (1996), the character she played, Karen Hines, wears a Northwestern University pullover.
– Has a son: Hugh Howard Rosenberg (born October 21, 1990). He was named after Marg’s father, who died in 1986 of complications from Multiple Sclerosis.
– Got her start as a local news weather girl in her native Nebraska. The news producer felt her name was too long and made her change it to Margi McCarty. This was her night job. Her day job was as a meat boner at the meat packing plant where her father was a meat inspector.
– Her home in Hollywood, California once belonged to silent movie star William S. Hart.
– Six years before the premiere of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000), she and Gary Dourdan starred together in an unsuccessful television pilot called Keys (1994).
– Had a plane scare while attempting to fly from Dallas, Texas to Omaha, Nebraska. The pilot aborted take-off after the plane blew two tires. Marg eventually succeeded to Omaha [October 20, 2005].
– Is the middle of three children. Her older sister is Ann Helgenberger (jazz musician) and her younger brother is Curt Helgenberger (a meat inspector).
– Attended and graduated from North Bend Central High School in North Bend, Nebraska.
– Her hometown of North Bend, Nebraska named a local street after her called Helgenberger Avenue.
– Has been portrayed in several CSI games.
– Her 51st birthday was the same date of airing the conclusion of the CSI series’ trilogy crossover episodes.
– Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6667 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on January 23, 2012.
– Is a huge fan of the NFL’s New York Giants.
– Friends with Joni Mitchell.